Like What You See?
From The Evolution of the “World’s Greatest Fraternity”:
In 1870, several thousand of the nine hundred 900,000 residents of Manhattan were masons. Many of these Masons made it a point to lunch at the Knickerbocker Cottage, a resturant at 426, 6th ave. At a special table on the second floor, a particularly jovial group of men used to meet regularly.
The Masons who gathered at this table were noted for the good humor and wit. They often discussed the idea of a new fraternity for masons, in which fun and fellowship would be stressed more than ritual. Two of the table regulars, Walter M. Fleming, M.D and William Florence, and actor took the idea seriously enough to do something about it.
Billy Florence was a star. After Becoming the toast of the New York stage, he toured London, Europe and Middle Easter countries, always playing to capacity audiences. While on tour in Marseilles, France Florence was invited to a party given by an Arabian Diplomat. The entertainment was something in the nature of an elaborately staged musical comedy. At its conclusion, the guests became members of a secret society. Florence, recalling the conversations at the Knickerbocker Cottage, realized that this might well be the vehicle for the new fraternity. He made copious noted and drawings at that initial viewing and on two other occasions when he attended the ceremony, once in Algiers and again in Cairo. When he returned to New York in 1870 and showed his material to Dr. Fleming, Fleming agreed.
Dr. Walter Millard Flemming was a prominent physician and surgeon. Born in 1838, he obtained a degree in medicine from Albany, NY, in 1862. During the civil War he was a surgeon with the 13th New York Infantry Brigade of the National Guard. He then practiced medicine in Rochester New York until 1868, when he moved to New York City and quickly became a leading practitioner.
Flemming was devoted to fraternalism. He became a Mason in Rochester and took some of this Scottish Rite work there. Then completed his degrees in NC. He was coroneted a 33° Scottish Rite mason on September 19, 1872.
Fleming took the ideas supplied by Florence and converted them into what would become the Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine (A.A.O.N.M.S) [now Shriners International].
With the help of other Knicherbocker Cottage regulars, Fleming with the help of three Brother Masons: Charles T. McClenachan, lawyer and expert on Masonic Ritual; William Sleigh Paterson, printer linguist and ritualist; and Albert L. Rawson, prominent scholar and Mason who provided much of the Arabic Background.
The First Thirteen Masons who received The Order Of The Mystic Shrine.
The Crescent was adopted as the Jewel of the Order. Though any materials can be used in forming the Crescent, the most valuable are the claws of a royal Bengal Tiger, United at their Base in a gold setting. In the center is the head of a sphinx and on the back are a pyramid, an urn and a star. The Jewel bears the motto, “Robur et Furor” which means “Strength and Fury”. Today, the Shrine emblem includes a scimitar from which the crescent hangs, and a five-pointed star beneath the head of the sphinx.
The red fez with a black tassel, the Shrine’s official headgear, has been handed down through the ages. It derives its name from the place where is was first manufactured – the holy city of Fez, Morocco.
Some historians claim it dates back to about A.D. 980, but the name of the fez, or tarboosh, does not appear in Arabic literature until around the 14th century. One of the earliest references to the headgear is in “Arabian Nights”.
THE FIRST MEETING
On September 26, 1872, in the New York City Masonic Hall, the first Shrine Temple in the United States was organized. Brother McClenachan and Dr. Fleming had completed the ritual and proposed that the first Temple be named Mecca. The original 13 Masons of the Knickerbocker Cottage lunch group were named Charter Members of Mecca Temple (Mecca Shriners). Noble Florence read a letter outlining the “history” of the Order and giving advice on the conduct of meetings. The offices elected were Walter M Fleming, Potentate; Charles T. McClenachan, Chief Rabban; John A Moore, Assistant Rabban; Edward Eddy, High Priest and Prophet; George W. Millar, Oriental Guide; James S. Chappel, Treasurer; William S. Paterson, Recorder; and Oswald M. d’Aubigne, Captain of the Guard.
But the organization was not an instant success even though a second Temple was chartered in Rochester in 1875. Four years after the Shrine’s beginning, there were only 42 Shriners, all but six of whom were from New York.
THE IMPERIAL COUNCIL (NOW IMPERIAL DIVAN)
At a meeting of Mecca Shriners on June 6, 1876, in the New York Masonic Temple, a new body was crated to help spur the growth of the young fraternity. This governing body was called “The Imperial Grand Council of the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for the United States of America”. Fleming became the first Imperial Grand Potentate and the new body established rules for membership and the formation of new Temples. The initiation ritual was embellished, as was the mythology about the fraternity. An extensive publicity and recruiting campaign was initiated.
It worked. Just two year later, in 1878, there were 425 Shriners in 13 Temples. Five of these Temples were in New York, two were in Ohio and the others were in Vermont, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Iowa, Michigan and Massachusetts.
The Shrine continued to grow during the 1880’s. By the time of the 1888 Annual Session (convention) in Toronto, there were 7,210 members in 48 Temples located throughout the United States and one in Canada.
While the organization was still primarily social, instances of philanthropic work became more frequent. During an 1888 Yellow Fever epidemic in Jacksonville, Fla., members of the new Morocco Shriners and Masonic Knights Templar worked long hours to relieve the suffering populace. In 1889, Shriners came to the aid of the Johnstown Flood victims. In 1898, there were 50,000 Shriners and 71 if the 79 Temples were engaged in some sort of philanthropic work.
By the turn of the century, the Shrine had come into its own. At its 1990 Imperial Session, representatives from 82 Temples marched in a Washington, DC parade reviewed by President William McKinley. Shrine membership was well over 55,000.